Thursday, December 27, 2007

Best Albums of 2007: Rough Draft

I need to collect a summary of what actually happened this year before I declare my official rank of best 2007 releases. Although I do have a a pretty concrete idea of my top 5, at least. I don't want to forget anyone. Like Conor, can't forget Conor. I find myself excluding him a lot, most likely due to the partially accepted shame of being a member of his fan base. Anyway, Let's brainstorm..

Wilco - Sky Blue Sky
Ryan Adams - Easy Tiger
Bjork - Volta
Rufus Wainwright - Rufus Does Judy at Carnegie Hall
The White Stripes - Icky Thump
Justice - †
Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
Jeff Buckley - So Real: Songs From Jeff Buckley
!!! - Myth Takes
Feist - The Reminder
Daft Punk - Alive 2007
LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver
Bright Eyes - Cassadaga
BRMC - Baby 81
Klaxons - Myths of the Near Future
Albert Hammond Jr. - Yours to Keep (American Release 2007?)
The Polyphonic Spree - The Fragile Army
Rufus Wainwright - Release the Stars
Babyshambles - Shotter's Nation
Kings of Leon - Because of the Times

My list is a lot more dancey then I would have liked to see. But I have to remember Coachella 2007 and the fact that I did do ecstasy for the first time this year..

Christina, don't forget Fountains of Wayne. You know it will not be appearing on my list. Oh also Christina, don't forget the Bravery.

Most Overrated Albums of 2007:
Interpol - Our Love To Admire
She Wants Revenge - This Is Forever
Tegan and Sara - The Con

9 comments:

There is a Girl That Never Goes Out said...

fuck you better version of me. you know that the song "traffic and weather" is classic and you love it. at least i didn't buy the bravery record and asked the clerks at big b's about the first bravery record.

C said...

Christina. The Clerk had not even heard of the Bravery. The Big B's Clerk. and this was Big B's before Zia put them out of business. When the clerks were the hippest elitist mother fuckers to roam Maryland Pkwy. I was trying to give the Bravery a chance because I knew they were going to be playing Coachella. I had heard Honest Mistake and I thought it was smooth, it reminded me of The Stills. I HAD NOT done my research yet to find they were just Hemlock trying to play off the new dance beat trend. I did not know they were previously a ska band and the lead singer had dread locks. I DIDN'T KNOW.

b_as_in_bahb said...

My picks for 2007, which are in alphabetical order and not in order of preference, are as follows.

Bright Eyes - Cassadaga

Circa Survive - On Letting Go

The Dear Hunter - Act II: The Meaning of, & All Things Regarding Ms. Leading

The Format - B-Sides & Rarities

Glös - Harmonium

House of Fools - Live and Learn

Rufus Wainwright - Release The Stars

Summerbirds In The Cellar - With The Hands of The Hunter It All Becomes Dead


I know you're going to give me some crap for Circa Survive being on there.

gino said...

I haven't thought about it much, but I think your list should include (the aforementioned) Neon Bible, Battles' Mirrored, and Animal Collective's Strawberry Jam. If anyone wants the first bravery record, you can have the one that (I think?) BMG sent to me? Yeah, and I had to pay the dreaded $17.99 USD.

Never been opened! Surprisesurpiserifedo

C said...

Bobby - You are entitled to your opinions on power emo bands like Coheed & Cambia/Circa Survive. I'm sure they are talented musicians. They seem to be getting a lot of attention. I, myself, just cannot physically give them a fair examination because I cannot stand to continue listening once the gentle giant of a lead singer starts whining obnoxiously. However, I do not think the Format has the slightest amount of legendary cred that you think they do. They're catchy but I doubt they acclaim epic proportions for generations to come. Only time can prove me wrong! We will have to see. I obviously agree with your Cassadaga ranking, I think you need to listen to Easy Tiger, and, thank you for dinner Wednesday & the dvd player.

There is a Girl That Never Goes Out said...

was it an honest mistake courtney?

C said...

Gino - I actually really wanted to include Strawberry Jam, I love the cover, and Feels is one of my favorite albums to listen to of all time, but I have to admit I didnt get to listen to Strawberry Jam much this year, so I couldn't include it on my personal list, but I am sure it is one of the best albums of 2007, and I will be a late enlightenee.

Neon Bible. Is wonderful, but it didnt seem new to me. Particularly because of No Cars Go, and songs previously released. I don't think it's overrated.. but I think Funeral and their incredible 2005/06 live shows gave them the platform to release anything that would be considered gold, hence the breakthrough commercial success of Neon Bible. They do deserve a spot on the list though, you are right, I will edit them into my final rank.

Grayson said...

fuck all that, where's jeezy at?

b_as_in_bahb said...

You will find that there is no whining and hardly any screaming for that matter. The ear shattering elegance of his screams are well placed and they only make the songs better. :)